Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Erroneous usage of the Old Testamental text in the Gospels, part 1

At first I have to make things clear. I do not think of myself that I am a great Bible scholar. But not being a great Bible scholar does not hesitate me to see some obvious things. And one of those things is the New Testamental usage of the prophecy from the Old Testament.

I saw it from the very beginning, when I first read the Gospels. But at the time I thought that every doubt or question against the 'absolute inerancy' of the Bible is inspired by Satan, so I did not think about it much. I just used to skip the 'problematic' verse and read further without thinking about it.

But the voice of my rational mind was still whispering inside of me. When I left an organized church once and for all I had more peace to think about controversial matter. I did not have to be afraid of somebody's opinion any more, so I started to rethink the questions I had always asked. By the way, you see that being a member of an organized church disanables the person to think clearly and independently, since a person is always influenced by the opinion of the group and is afraid to think and speak differently being under threat of ostacism and rejection.

Let's return to our main thought, namely the erroneous usage of the Old Testamental prophecy in the Gospels. The evangelists (that is how we call the authors of the Gospel) Matthew, Mark, Luke and John quote the Old Testamental text quite often. And quite ofren they quote is erroneously! Now it is time for some examples.

And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son (Matthew 2:15)

The quotation from the Old Testament is in the italics. It is taken from the Book of the Prophet Hosea. Let's look at the words quoted by Matthew in their context.

"When Israel was a child, then I loved him,
and called my son out of Egypt.
The more the prophets called them,
the more they went from them:
they sacrificed unto the Baalim,
and burned incense to graven images. 
Yet I taught Ephraim to walk; I took them on my arms;
but they knew not that I healed them."

Hosea 11:1-3, American Standard Version

Now, dear Reader, read this passage again and ask yourself a question: "Who is the son who was called out of Egypt by God?". The answer is obvious: "Israel". Israel is called a beloved child, the son, who was called out of Egypt. But what does Matthew the evangelist do? He takes the part of the sentence (which I printed in bold) and says to the Reader of his gospel that these words constitute a prophecy about Christ. Someone who isn't aware of the fact where does this prophecy come from could believe Matthew. But Matthew is obviously wrong. He did it willingly or not we have to say he lied.


No comments:

Post a Comment